When I started my job - one thing I knew was that I was going to need to find ways to build relationships with coworkers who worked in different cities. After doing a bunch of research on remote management and long distance relationships I figured that going old school was the place to start. It's been six months - and every month I take the train from Penn Station and hop on the Amtrak to DC. And here's what I've learned this far:
- Nothing can ever beat face time
- If you can swing it stay for two days instead of one
- Always make time for unexpected lunches, this is where real relationships grow
- Make time to see the same people, consistency breeds familiarity
- Don't eat donuts for breakfast - it will mess up your decision making for the rest of the day
Hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes and succeed because of my solutions!
Simone aka The Management Geek